Return to Headlines

Coach Mumley's Reports

May 5- SN w/Liberty Bell

The Manson Trojans boys soccer team finished their rollercoaster season on a high on senior night with a 4-0 victory over Liberty Bell.  Although both teams were already eliminated from playoffs there was still pride to play for, and more than that, an opportunity for the Manson seniors to get on last send off to end their illustrious careers.  Manson settled into a slow game but controlled possession and created a few chances. However, after about 20 minutes not much was happening in the way of scoring chances.  On about 22 minutes, however, Aurelio Gutierrez took a shot from distance that went straight to the goalkeeper but slipped through his hands, then his legs for the opening Manson goal!  A bit of a gift but one that a team who struggles to score will gladly accept.  Heri Sarmiento doubled the lead with a nice dribble attack into the box before dispatching the ball into the corner past the diving goalkeeper.  At halftime all the seniors from the soccer program were recognized for their accomplishments over the last 4 years.  A proud moment for all the parents and their coaches, including coach Phil Thomas, who was formerly the head coach for a long spell before resigning last year.  The game continued and Manson soon got another goal.  This time Gustavo Villasenor, fallowing a loose ball and getting it over the goalkeeper.  As the game was coming to a close and all the seniors were on the field, senior Jose Juarez finished off the game with a nice goal to make it 4-0.  The game did become a little heated toward the end however, which saw Juarez receive two yellow cards in quick succession, which meant he was ejected from the game.  A bit of a sour end to an otherwise sweet day.  The game, and the season, will be remembered for all the hard work and leadership of the senior class.  The last game of the season was not where the Manson Trojans wanted to be but they finished with pride.  Manson 4.  Liberty Bell 0.

April 29 - Bridgeport

The dreams of a post season ended in painfully dramatic fashion for the Manson Trojans.  Facing a must-win against the Hornets of Oroville they came up just short on virtually the last kick of the game when the Hornets scored a golden goal in the last minute of the second period of overtime.  The game followed a familiar theme with Manson soccer this season.  It was characterized by dominant possession in the midfield and the majority of chances compared to their opponent.  In fact, Oroville did not have their first shot on target until late in the second half.  Manson outshot the Hornets 20 to 4 yet Oroville delivered on the one that mattered most while Manson struggled to find the cutting edge on goal.  Although the first half started slowly for the Trojans they began to grow into the game and put the pressure on.  Early shots from Jose Juarez caused the Oroville goalkeeper some problems.  As the pressure continued to build for the Trojans Eduardo Escalera was played through down the line before delivering a cross through the box where Freddy Leyva came close to putting Manson ahead.  Meanwhile the Manson defense snuffed out any and all attacks that came their way before there was any hint of danger.  Goalkeeper Misa Montes making only one touch in the entire half when he came out to collect a loose ball.  The Trojans walked off the field at halftime with a 0-0 score line for the sixth time this season and feeling like it was not a fair indication of the way they have played.  In the second half their play improved as Manson intensity and drive to find the winning goal improved.  Juarez and Leyva continued to fight up front, the midfield trio of Marcos Valdovinos, Heri Sarmiento and Eduardo Escalera continued to control the middle and the defense remained locked in.  If Manson controlled the first half then they dominated the second.  Oroville endured wave after wave of Trojan attacks but there were no winning results from the boys of Manson.  After regulation the sides played two five-minute halves to break the tie with a golden goal, meaning first to score wins.  The pattern of the game continued as Manson mounted on the pressure including a late strike from Juarez forcing a nice save out of the Hornet’s keeper.  And then heartbreak for the Trojans.  With the final seconds of overtime ticking down, a loose ball was collected by Oroville’s forward who ran on goal and finished calmly around Montes to end the game.  For a goal to come against the run of play is a shock to any team.  For it to come at the end of overtime with the stakes so high and the traffic so one-way in Manson’s favor throughout the game is cruel.  It represents both what we love and hate about this sport.  In the end the Trojans of Manson can be proud of the way they fought, not just in this game but throughout the season.  They demonstrated pride, passion and grit throughout the entire spring and can hold their heads up high knowing that high school sports last for a season but character, honor and integrity last a lifetime.  The Trojans will play their last game of the season Wednesday at 6:30pm for senior night against Liberty Bell at home.   

April 27 - Tonasket

On a sunny and windy day at the Manson Athletic Complex the Trojans soccer team got a much needed 1-0 victory over the Tigers of Tonasket.  A 67 minute goal from Jose Juarez was enough to seal the all-important victory.  In typical fashion the Trojans came out in the first half and commanded the possession and created most of the opportunities.  Playing into a strong headwind allowed for any attacking pass to die down before it reached the goalkeeper giving the Manson forwards time and space to track the ball down.  Manson’s attack was led by Aurelio Gutierrez who consistently made clever runs in behind the defense.  At about 20 minutes into the game one of those runs yielded a rocket of a shot off his right foot which beat the goalkeeper only for the crossbar to deny the goal!  Manson continued to press.  Freddy Leyva made himself available with some nice forward runs but was unable to convert on three separate chances.  A familiar feeling at halftime as the Trojans again found themselves tied at 0-0 feeling like they should have been in the lead.  But once again they continued to press away, seeking that elusive goal.  Finally, with less than fifteen minutes left it came.  A nice cross from Gutierrez found Juarez in the box and, after taking it down to his feet, calmly dispatched it into the bottom of the net.  Tonasket stepped up the pressure the last ten minutes and created a couple close chances but in the end the Trojans prevailed, winning an important league game in hot pursuit of the elusive number 2 seed.  Next up, home to Oroville at 11am on Saturday.

April 24 - Cascade

The Manson Trojans boys soccer team fought valiantly against the top team in the class A CTL league on Monday night, losing by a score of 2-1.  Although the Trojans can take heart in the fact that they played well against an undefeated team they still walk away from the game knowing that a victory was not far off.  The first half was defined by consistent midfield control by the Trojans which yielded wave after wave of attack.  Freddy Leyva was making the Cascade defense uncomfortable with his darting runs across the back while Aurelio Gutierrez and Jose Juarez were causing the defense problems from the width.  The best chance of the first half by either side came in the 30th minute when freshman Abelardo Sanchez played a diagonal ball to a running Gutierrez through the middle of the box.  The quick shot was smartly blocked by the goalkeeper and out for a corner kick.  By halftime the score was 0-0 and the Trojans felt as if they deserved more.  A familiar feeling this season.  The second half saw Cascade grow more into the game.  The play of their midfield improved and their counter attacks started to cause the Manson defense more problems.  In the 48th minute Cascade’s efforts yielded results.  A breakdown in the Manson defense allowed the Cascade forward to make a run into the box from the end line.  As Manson’s goalkeeper Misa Montes came out to prevent the goal the Cascade forward knocked the ball around him, was tripped by Montes and earned a penalty kick.  The ensuing penalty was nearly saved by Montes but ended up putting Cascade up 1-0.  The game continued to go back and forth as Manson kept up their strong midfield play with Eduardo Escalera, Heri Sarmiento and Sanchez pulling strings in the middle.  However, Cascade doubled their lead after working the ball well in the 71st minute.  Manson continued the fight and were eventually rewarded for their efforts, earning a penalty kick of their own with only one minute left in the game.  Heri Sarmiento stepped up and confidently secured the goal for the Trojans.  The scoreline shows a loss but there was much to be encouraged about for the Manson Trojans in a non-league game that does nothing but boost their confidence as they enter the home stretch of league play before playoffs.  And quite a home stretch it is too! Three games in the next week, all at the Manson Athletic Complex.   

April 22 - Bridgeport

It was a game of two halves for the Manson Trojans Boys soccer team on Saturday morning.  The bed-head of some of the players rolling into the Manson Athletic Complex giving some indication that the early start time at 10am may be a bit of a challenge for high school boys.  As a result the Trojans started the first half of play lethargic and tired and, although they controlled the entire half from start to finish the play was slow and uninspiring.  Bridgeport did not create much in way of goal scoring chances other than the occasional corner or free kick that dropped into the Manson box.  A few close calls that the Trojan defense had to clear away.  For all the slow play in the first half Manson did create a few chances.  Freddy Leyva missing an early break-away and Aurelio Gutierrez coming close.  The half came to a close as slowly as it began with the score knotted at 0-0.  The second half, however, was another story.  The boys of Manson High School, realizing the opportunity at hand, woke up and began playing with the intensity and focus that they are accustomed to.  Levya continued to make good runs and create chances.  Jose Juarez, using his speed down the side, making things very uncomfortable for the Bridgeport defenders.  The breakthrough finally came on 65 minutes when Leyva, who had just been moved back to midfield, challenged the Bridgeport defense, won the ball and dispatched it calmly into the bottom of the net.  A cheer and a sigh of relief could be heard all round.  The goal was well deserved for a team that had the ball in the opposition half for almost two third of the second half.  Manson continued to press and create chances and nearly doubled their lead when Marco Mendoza drove ahead with the ball, splitting the entire Bridgeport team, only to shoot straight at the keeper.  A missed opportunity he will quickly forget because in the 73rd minute he got another chance when a ball bounced high in front of him inside the box.  Mendoza lifted his leg and side-volleyed the ball powerfully into the top of the net.  With less than ten minutes remaining the goal was the icing on the cake to a very positive second half.  In the end the Trojans got what they deserved with a victory over Bridgeport. And more than anything, they showed heart and grit in their ability to put a slow, unfocussed first half behind them and earn the victor in the second.  Final score, Manson 2 and Bridgeport 0.

April 20 - Liberty Bell

Manson boys soccer finally got out of their shell after a post-spring break lull, beating Liberty Bell 5-0.  It was the first multi-goal game for the Trojans in four and tied the most goals they scored in a game so far this season.  The goals were scored by five different players, including three which recorded their first goals of the season.  Manson began pressuring Liberty Bell right away and soon created some early chances.  Freddy Leyva and Jose Juarez each coming close to taking the lead.  The opening goal, however, was proving difficult to find.  Finally, after some well worked possession, Eduardo Escalera forced a save from the Mountain Lion goalkeeper which was parried into the path of Aurelio Gutierrez who buried the ball into the back of the net for his first goal of the season to put the Trojans up by 1.  Seven minutes later Freddy Leyva pressured the last defender of Liberty Bell who cleared the ball off of Leyva’s leg which sent it toward the Mountain Lion goal, over the keeper’s head and right into the bottom corner!  A fortunate goal for the Trojans for sure, but one that still counts.  Finally, about five minutes before halftime, Heri Sarmiento dispatched his first goal of the season of well-placed free kick from about 25 yards out.  Goalkeeper Serafin Chavez was then called upon to make an incredible close range save when a Liberty Bell free kick was curved into the box and met by a thunderous header.  Chavez stood his ground and calmly collected the ball.  Manson soccer entered halftime up 3-0.  After halftime the Trojans continued to dominate although they found it default to pull away.  Liberty Bell played physical and scrappy, with one of their players earning a yellow card and lucky not to see a second later in the game.  The next goal finally came at 62 minutes when Gutierrez found Gustavo Villasenor with a clever splitting pass which he then calmly chipped over the onrushing goalkeeper to put Manson up 4-0.  To put the icing on the cake, Marco Mendoza finished off the scoring with his first goal of the season after receiving a nice pass from Christian Lopez.  The game stops a three game losing skid for the Trojans of Manson as they enter the final stretch of league games in their quest for playoffs. 

April 18 - Brewster

Although the score line doesn’t show it, Manson Boys Soccer played one of their best games of the season against the Brewster Bears in what was their first true “home” game of the season at the Manson Athletic Complex.  The Trojans came into the game with a plan to put the Bears under pressure and after about five minutes of Brewster controlling possession, Manson took over.  The new-look midfield trio of Heri Sarmiento, Educardo Escalera and Abelardo Sanchez completely controlled the middle of the field.  Manson was moving the ball up the field and down the sides, making things very uncomfortable for the Bears.  Freddy Leyva, playing in a new role up front, continued to make intelligent and probing runs through the defense while causing them problems.  Then, against the run of play, at about 20 minutes into the first half Brewster scored the go-ahead goal off a free kick from nearly 40 yards away.  The ball flew high into the air and dropped just below the cross bar which turned into a goal no keeper in the league would have been prepared to stop.  And just like that, with all the momentum against them, Brewster took the lead.  The score line remained that way until half time before Manson started the second half in the same way they ended it, dominating possession and putting the Bears under pressure.  The Trojans continued to create chances, looking for that equalizing goal, with Aurelio Gutierrez coming closes with a thunderous strike that left the goalkeeper with no chance, only the see the ball bounce off of the upright post and out!  Manson was getting close.  With about 12 minutes left in the game, as the Trojans continued to press up the field to get the equalizer Brewster latched onto a cleared ball after a Manson corner and ran up the field on a counter-attack and were able to put another goal in the back of the net.  Once again, this came against the run of play.  Only three minutes later Brewster got one more as the Trojans were still trying to pick themselves up off the ground in disappointment.  Any observer at the game will agree that the score line did not tell the story.  The Trojans played with pride, passion and grit and were unfortunate not to have been rewarded for their efforts, intelligence and intensity.  In the end Brewster, the number one team in the league, prevailed 3-0, and it is now up to Manson to fight through the rest of the regular season, mostly home games, to earn their playoff spot. 

April 13 - Oroville

The Manson Boys soccer team lost their second successive league game to Oroville on Thursday night in what became a battle for the second half.  Once again, like so many other games the Trojans have played, the halftime came with no goals by either side.  Manson, however, had the lion’s share of chances but Oroville’s goalkeeper made some good saves to keep them in the game.  Then, about 15 minute into the second half the Hornets went ahead with a goal from a midfield turnover then through-ball that was calmly dispatched past Serafin Chavez, the starting Manson goalkeeper.  Manson continued to fight, however, when Jose Juarez equalized about five minutes later.  He chased down a ball into the right side of the box and finished well past the Oroville goalkeeper.  However, about 7 minutes after the equalizing goal Oroville again took the lead as their center forward latched onto a ball and powered through the Manson defense before finishing off the goal.  Manson had about twenty minutes to respond and they sent wave after wave of attack but to no avail.  In the end the Hornets finished on top, although the stat sheet will show Manson outshot them 2 to 1.  In soccer there is only one stat that matters and the Trojans fell short in that category losing to Oroville 2-1.  Next up is the first true home game at the Manson Athletic Complex on Saturday at 11am. 

April 11 - Tonasket

The Manson Trojans boys soccer team fell to Tonasket on the road by a score of 2-0.  The game marks only the second loss on the season by the Trojans, also the second loss in league.  Although the first half started out strongly for Manson with forward Jose Juarez creating a few chances, the game evened out by the end of the first half.  Tonasket had a few good shots, one which was bravely saved by Serafin Chavez who came out of his goal to close out the angle.  Half time arrived with the score at 0-0 and the level of play even.  The second half began much like the first ended with both teams possessing the ball and creating chances.  Tonasket were opting for the more direct approach, diagonal balls across the Manson back line, while the Trojans continued to try and work the ball around the Tonasket defense.  At about 58 minutes Tonasket broke the deadlock with a nicely worked play down the center of the field that was finished off by a low shot passed Chavez in goal.  Manson barely had time to catch their breath before another went in about 6 minutes later.  Although the game seemed to be lost Manson continued to fight, creating chance after chance including a late shot by Gustavo Villasenor that went just wide and another shot by Freddy Leyva that went off the bar.  In the end it was not enough as Tonasket held on for the win.  The Trojans now fall to 5-2 overall and 1-2 in league.  Next up, another road game.  This time in Oroville.

April 1 - Omak

Manson Boys soccer beat Omak 2-1 on Saturday in a game that turned out to be closer than the first half would have suggested.  The Trojans pressed Omak early and created a number of chances including a goal by Jose Juarez that was called back for a foul in the first 5 minutes.  Manson continued to apply pressure, dominating possession in the midfield, as Everardo Rodriguez and Freddie Leyva had chances to score.  The break finally came in the 30th minute when Gustavo Villasenor finished a nice team move and put the Trojans up 1-0.  Manson continued to attack when the second half started and were reward for their efforts when Leyva scored a nice goal when the ball made it all the way through to the far post.  Levya calmly dispatched the ball into the upper corner for the 2-0 lead.  The game seemed comfortable for the Trojans, with the score line and with the current level of play.  Omak was having difficulty creating chances and Manson continued to dominate, although they weren’t creating as much as earlier.  Slowly, however, Omak began to grow into the game.  They started applying more and more pressure and the Trojans were having difficulty with it.  Then, in the 70th minute, Omak scored off a cross with the Manson defense cluttered and disorganized.  From that point forward Omak played hard for the equalizing goal but the Trojans did just enough to get the 2-1 win. 

Mar. 30 - Bridgeport

The Manson Trojans boys soccer team went on the road and took care of business in just their second league game of the season, beating Bridgeport 5-2.  A first half hat trick by senior Jose Juarez put the Trojans up 3-0 within the first thirty five minutes.  Manson began the game with great intensity and create many chances early on.  Bridgeport struggled to get into the game but created a few chances of their own, only for the Manson defense and goalkeeper Misa Montes to clear the danger.  The first goal came after about 7 minutes when Aurelio Gutierrez played in Juarez who skillfully dribbled to create enough space for him to take shot and produce the go-ahead goal.  Gustavo Villasenor assisted the second to Juarez while goalkeeper Montes is credited with the assist on the third after a long punt, with Juarez doing the rest.  The second half started much like the first began, with Manson putting lots of pressure on Bridgeport.  That pressure paid off with a very nicely worked goal that involved passes between Heri Sarmiento, Freddie Leyva, Jose Juarez and eventual Everardo Rodriguez who finished the move with a cool finish past the goalkeeper.  A few minutes later Rodriguez was rewarded by a his efforts as he chased down a hopeful ball that the goalkeeper fumbled and put the game beyond doubt at 5-0.  Bridgeport did respond, however, with an incredible 35 yard volley from Osvaldo Orozco before taking one last goal that the Manson Trojans wish they could have back.  5-3 the final score.  The Trojans improve their league record to 1-1 and their overall record to 4-1.  Next up, Omak at home on Saturday.

Mar. 28 - Liberty Bell

The Manson Boys soccer team took care of business Tuesday afternoon by beating the Mountain Lions of Liberty Bell 2-0.  Goals by Freddy Leyva in the first half and Jose Juarez on the second sealed the deal for the Trojans.  The game started off very even with both teams getting control of the ball and putting pressure on their opponents goal.  Liberty Bell had nice spells of possession that led to a few crosses and distant shots that were easily dealt with my Manson goalkeeper Misa Montes.  Manson, meanwhile, began getting more and more into the game with strong runs forward by Aurelio Gutierrez and incisive passing by Heri Sarmiento.  The break finally came shortly after Freddy Leyva moved up to center forward.  A direct run by Jose Vasquez and his subsequent pass but Leyva straight onto goal where he calmly finished the play and scored.  In the second half the Trojans became to put increase their pressure which yielded more and more scoring opportunities.  Everardo Rodriguez came close as did Juarez when he was put through by Sarmiento.  The game was sealed on a corner kick when Leyva crossed the ball to a waiting Juarez who placed it in the bottom of the net.  A strong second half for the Trojans of Manson who should feel confident of their play while also realizing there is room for even more growth in this early season.

Mar. 25 - Bridgeport

The Manson Trojans showed resilience and hard work in their 2-0 victory over the Mustangs of Bridgeport.  With a limited bench, Manson competed well in a tight first half.  While the Trojans struggled to create chances, goalkeeper Serafin Chavez kept them in the game with a series of fine saves that ensured both teams remained scoreless by halftime.  The second half saw Manson put much more pressure on Bridgeport as Freddy Leyva, normally a midfield player, played at the front of the team as the center forward.  His tenacity paid off as he chased a through-pass by Heri Sarmiento towards the Bridgeport goalkeeper and after a mix up between Bridgeport’s defender and the goalkeeper Leyva slotted the ball into the back of the net with about 20 minutes left in the game.  Manson continued to press and create more chances before finally sealing the game with 10 minutes to go off of a corner kick . Freddy Leyva played the ball in and Everardo Rodriguez dispatched the ball into the back of the net with his head.  A well-worked goal and a deserved win for the Trojans of Manson.

Mar. 23 - Brewster

The Manson Trojans boys soccer team fell to the Bears of Brewster Thursday night by 3 goals to 0.  The Trojans started off well with Heri Sarmiento and Freddy Leyva controlling the middle of the field.  Within two minutes forward Aurelio Gutierrez was played in behind the Brewster defense and his effort hit the crossbar.  As Manson continued to create chances Brewster found it difficult to get out of their own half.  That was until about 10 minutes in when an unmarked Brewster forward found space for a long shot that beat Manson goalkeeper Misa Montes.  The rest of the second half was a tight back and forth before both teams finally got a break.  With a short bench to start the game and the injury of Jesus Espinoza in the first half the Manson boys had to dig deep to make up for the lack of substitutions. The second half started slow for the Trojans who gave up another goal about 4 minutes in.  Manson continued to fight, however, and under the leadership of David Alejo in the back continued to rally the troops.  In the end, after another late goal by Brewster, the Trojans left with nothing more than lessons to learn from their first league game of the season.

Mar. 15 - Okanogan

The Manson Trojans boys soccer team started their season off strong with a convincing 2-1 win over the Bulldogs of Okanogan.  Although the score line reflected a close contest, in reality Manson was dominant on the field and had more chances to score including a shot of the crossbar in the second half from Jose Juarez. 

The game started strongly for the Trojans who commanded possession and attacked Okanogan from wide areas on the field.  Aurelio Gutierrez was making dangerous runs down the right side of the field and central midfield players Freddy Leyva and Heriberto Sarmiento were feeding him the ball before playing in dangerous crosses to the middle.  After about 10 minutes into the game Manson’s pressure paid off when a stinging shot came off the Okanogan goalkeeper and Freddy Leyva was there to poke in the rebound.  Manson continued with the pressure and in the 22nd minute Jose Juarez followed up on a shot that came off the goalkeeper, making it 2-0 .  Manson looked strong in the first 30 minutes but towards the end of the first half, as legs began to get heavy, the Trojan midfield allowed an Okanogan player to run freely through the midfield and set up his teammate for the goal.  The score was 2-1 at halftime, although the Trojans felt like it should not have been that close.

The second half was much of the same as the first, minus the goals.  Manson pressed on for another goal but couldn’t quite find one.  Okanogan took some more risks going forward but the defensive line and goalkeeper did a good job locking down the back.  In the end the game ended 2-1 and the Trojans brought home the win.  A good start to the season and a promising look ahead at what is in store.

Coach Mumley