Highly Capable Program
Manson School District Highly Capable Program
Mission: To find and nurture talent in students by providing and supporting opportunities for them to pursue their interests at an appropriate pace and level of complexity and regular opportunities to spend time with students of similar abilities.
Philosophy: The Highly Capable/High Achieving Program is based on the premise that each child has an intrinsic right to an appropriate and enriched education. While all children can benefit from many enrichment opportunities, Manson School District recognizes that students who demonstrate unusual talent and capabilities need special provisions within, and in addition to, the regular curriculum.
The District further recognizes that highly capable and high achieving students, like all students, differ in learning styles, talent areas, interests, abilities and in personality. These differences, which can challenge traditional approaches to education, are part of their potential for unique contributions and must be considered when decisions are made regarding individual student programming.
Highly Capable Description: The Manson School District Highly Capable Program will serve students in Grades K – 12 who demonstrate the following characteristics:
(1) Capacity to learn with unusual depth of understanding, to retain what has been learned, and to transfer learning to new situations;
(2) Capacity and willingness to deal with increasing levels of abstraction and complexity earlier than their chronological peers;
(3) Creative ability to make unusual connections among ideas and concepts;
(4) Ability to learn quickly in their area(s) of intellectual strength;
(5) Capacity for intense concentration or focus
These students are identified and receive services according to the procedures outlined in Chapter 392-170 of the Washington Administrative Code. For information on how to refer a student to the program, use the forms below: